Re: NCAA SINGLES breakdown/predictions
Player by player. at least the ones I know, have seen play.
1. Aurelia, by far the best record this year, seems to be counterpunch, mediocre serve, but can hit some aggressive groudies. not that impressed when i saw her play.
2 Mijacika. a smooth player with great placement/powerful serve, tall, lanky, fast. I think she can go far in the tournament, maybe a qrtrfinal
3. barte. very short, small player, hwo is awesome in her fluidity, and complete game. she can be overpowered, but there's very few in college who can do it, maybe babos, zalameda, or she can be frustrated. i see her getting to the qrtrs or semis.
4. cossou- counterpuncher, great backhand, mediocre fh and serve, excellent defense. highly overranked. I see her getting to 4th round.
5. mosolova- boring counterpuncher, no weapons, hits balls deep. maybe 4th round.
6. fink- counterpuncher, but advantage in that she's a LEFTy, who hits with a ton of spin on serves and fh, fast too, frustrates the hell out of players. see her getting to qrtrs, maybe sneaking into a semi if she meets the right opponent.
7. mcdowell, this girl came out of nowhere, but she can play, she's fit, mediocre serve, but real HEAVY and deep shots off both sides. loves to attack serves w/ er heavy fh. she does it consistently, so she'll easily overpower the weaklings, ball pushers. i see her getting to qrtrs.
8. riza zalamdea- small girl, tons of power, hits one hander, can hit winners out of nowhere and errors too. great net game. the most complete game out of ALL college players. she has wins over near top 100 players b/c she's so complete. she can definitely win the whole thing, and i know she wants it. semis or better!!!
9. marand, never seen her play.
10. kirsti miller- fast girl who loves to dictate w/ her heavy heavy fh. great movement, throws a lot of offpace shots, loopers and slices. very consistent. I see her getting to qrtrs.
11. rose- inconsistent. maybe 4th round
12. moultn levy- great payer, like conchita, but seems to have lost smething this year. her speed ?? maybe 4th round
13. jessica ngyuen- small player who wans to be powerhitter. she'll get hit off the court. maybe 4th round.
other players i like
Nelson- one dimensional 2 hander off both sides, her game lives and dies by her confidence and serve. if she gets it back, then watch out for her. you don't make 2 consecutive ncaa finals by luck. i don't see it happening this year though.
babos- the most successful player in last 4 years aside from audra cohen. she's won 1 ncaa, 2 riviera all americans, can play awesome or like shit. hits real hard, great feel, so so serve. it depends on how hungry she stays after going far in the team competition.
falcon- this girl's counterpuncher, but her level is not as good as last year.
valverdu- short, but good claycourter w/ all the shots.
gloria- thin girl, but loves to dicate w her forehand. not sure bout her form, but you gotta watch out for anyone whose beaten hantuchova on the pro tour.
zemenova- former ncaa winner, i see her getting back to semifinal status.
other plaers to watch out for, schnack, remynse, nze, petuhkova
Lot of the final results will depend on the draw, matchups, etc.
Last edited by tennis_pIayer; May 18th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.