Rules thread - 2013 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronim1 View Post
We need to keep in mind to keep tha game simple.

1)Looking for betting sites etc. is IMO not in the scope of this game.
2)Llooking for winners of rounds, who will decide if the winner of round 3, is more or less imortant than the winner of 4 or 2?

The whole idea of rule #4, is to avoid shared winners, as there may only be one winner in tennis.
Sometimes the tournaments are played in Europe, sometimes in Asia and others are players in Americas, so there is a fair distribution of Time lines.

Players who see themselves contenders should hurry and place their tip.
There are some good points here roni, but it wouldn't be impossible to find a good solution I think. I was brainstorming a bit yesterday and figured out that we could, for example, ask people to guess the number of games for the two semis as well. It wouldn't complicate the game, and it wouldn't make the manager's job any more dificult, but it could solve ties in I'd say a more fair fashion than this comparing who posted earlier. So, in case of a tie in points, we'd compare who got the winner right and who was closer in games for the final, but in case there's still a tie we'd look at who was closer in games for the semis, and it's very unlikely that this wouldn't solve it. To even further reduce the chance of a tie there, we'd for example, compare by who had a closer "better guess" i.e. of your two guesses for the number of games in semis, only the closer one would be used to solve ties.

And as far as what you stated under 2) goes, my original idea included that F > SF > QF > (R4 > R3) R2 > R1. But as we saw in RG, that can't solve a tie every time; in fact, it can't solve them quite often cause people who are tied, frequently have identical results by rounds.
ma re is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
WhoAmI?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,204
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

I think the semifinal games idea is good

Maybe this should apply in Wimbledon?

And to conclude, what's the case of solving the tie-break? I think you should maybe make the standard opening page (as a new thread), so everyone would get it correct. Otherwise people copy from earlier threads and as you said the rulces have been swapped, so it might not be totally correct always.

WhoAmI? is offline  
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoAmI? View Post
I think the semifinal games idea is good

Maybe this should apply in Wimbledon?

And to conclude, what's the case of solving the tie-break? I think you should maybe make the standard opening page (as a new thread), so everyone would get it correct. Otherwise people copy from earlier threads and as you said the rulces have been swapped, so it might not be totally correct always.

Don't know if we'll agree on some new rules by Wimbledon, but it's possible.

Your suggestion about making a standard opening post is a very good one, I'll look into making one as soon as possible
ma re is offline  
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
ronim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,773
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
There are some good points here roni, but it wouldn't be impossible to find a good solution I think. I was brainstorming a bit yesterday and figured out that we could, for example, ask people to guess the number of games for the two semis as well. It wouldn't complicate the game, and it wouldn't make the manager's job any more dificult, but it could solve ties in I'd say a more fair fashion than this comparing who posted earlier. So, in case of a tie in points, we'd compare who got the winner right and who was closer in games for the final, but in case there's still a tie we'd look at who was closer in games for the semis, and it's very unlikely that this wouldn't solve it. To even further reduce the chance of a tie there, we'd for example, compare by who had a closer "better guess" i.e. of your two guesses for the number of games in semis, only the closer one would be used to solve ties.

And as far as what you stated under 2) goes, my original idea included that F > SF > QF > (R4 > R3) R2 > R1. But as we saw in RG, that can't solve a tie every time; in fact, it can't solve them quite often cause people who are tied, frequently have identical results by rounds.


I completely agree.


2013-Suicidee Tennis:Rank:56 Tipping: Rank: 8 Winner-AEGON Eastbourne;Carlsbad;Linz C-Y-P:Rank: 12 Winner-Florianopolis Pentathlon:Rank: 5 Winner-AUS Open;Florianopolis
2012- Tipping:Winner-Aus Open;London OG C-Y-P: Winner-Miami;Montreal Pentathlon:Winner-Stanford;London OG
2011- Tipping: Winner-Baku
2010- Tipping: Winner-Generali Ladies Linz;
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
ronim1 is offline  
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Payam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,872
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

I have a question about scoring and I am not sure where is the best place to ask it. As far as the scoring section mentions every correct guess in the first round gets one point and the second round gets 2, third round 3, and ... .
Is that right?
Payam is offline  
post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam View Post
I have a question about scoring and I am not sure where is the best place to ask it. As far as the scoring section mentions every correct guess in the first round gets one point and the second round gets 2, third round 3, and ... .
Is that right?
Yup
ma re is offline  
post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Payam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,872
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Thanks for the reply Ma Re.
Payam is offline  
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Not sure this is the place to post it, but I don't want to open yet another thread, so here it is - I have a suggestion of the addition to the point system.

More specifically, I suggest that for 2012 season we include bonus points for players ranked 9-12 in tournaments as well, giving them 20, 30 or 40 points for such results respectively, depending on the tournament category.

The reason is simply because now we have much more players in each and every tournament than a year or more ago, not to mention that up until the start of this season there were mostly between 50 and 60 players overall, while now we have more than a hundred. Up until this year, we barely ever had 30 players in any tournament other than a grand slam, but nowdays 45-50 seems to be the norm even for the smallest events.

Any thoughts on this?
ma re is offline  
post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
longtin23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10,785
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

I agree, an I also think that we should have two tournaments in the same week...

Asian Tennis Legend - Li Na
Wozniacki Kvitova Pironkova Larsson Mladenovic

V.Williams Zheng Peng Zhang Pavlyuchenkova Cornet
Muguruza Garcia Wickmayer Ka.Pliskova Makarova
longtin23 is offline  
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtin23 View Post
I also think that we should have two tournaments in the same week...
This will be the case a few times next seasons, but not for every week. Depending on the WTA schedule for 2012 and because of the need to play more events in Asia and Oceania, we will play two events per week when an opportunity comes to include more tournaments from those regions. But this will (as it now seems) not be implemented throughout the season, cause we did have that in tipping a few years ago, and the players themselves asked for only one event per week. Even with just one we sometimes forget to post picks or are not able to play that week, and I think this is the primary reason why people complained. I appreciate the idea though. If more people show interest in your suggestion, we will definately discuss it and maybe even introduce, but for now, looks like most players wouldn't be interested.
ma re is offline  
post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
ronim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,773
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

I agree with ma re's suggestion to enlarge point distribution.

I disagree with the idea of having more than one tourney per week.
In those cases, we will go back to having only 15-20 players per week.
Also we will need more managers, will need more calculations etc.
I really don't see what we will gain with this.

2013-Suicidee Tennis:Rank:56 Tipping: Rank: 8 Winner-AEGON Eastbourne;Carlsbad;Linz C-Y-P:Rank: 12 Winner-Florianopolis Pentathlon:Rank: 5 Winner-AUS Open;Florianopolis
2012- Tipping:Winner-Aus Open;London OG C-Y-P: Winner-Miami;Montreal Pentathlon:Winner-Stanford;London OG
2011- Tipping: Winner-Baku
2010- Tipping: Winner-Generali Ladies Linz;
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
ronim1 is offline  
post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronim1 View Post
I disagree with the idea of having more than one tourney per week.
In those cases, we will go back to having only 15-20 players per week.
Also we will need more managers, will need more calculations etc.
I really don't see what we will gain with this.
While it is possible that the number of players per tournament goes down on those weeks in which we play two events at the same time, I don't really see a problem here, because as it now seems, that will only be the case a few times during the whole season. Additionally, I think we should maybe stick to just 8 players receiving bonus points during such weeks because of this very reason (probable drop in the number of players per event compared to what we see today).

Yes, we will need some more managers (maybe a few more), but considering all the interest that was seen this year for running events (the fact that all the tournaments were reserved well before the end of the season), that should not be a problem.

What we would get with that is satisfaction for all the players living in Asian countries, Australia and Oceania, and there is quite a few of them. They complain how, because most tournaments are played in Europe and the USA, they often forget to send their picks or are not able to do it in time, due to time zones. That's a fair argument, because I know what kind of a mess it's sometimes for me to play tournaments in China or Australia. So this (as it now stands) will only serve the purpose of implementing more Asian and Australian tournaments into the schedule, and I believe it will bring something new and interesting into the game.
ma re is offline  
post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
ronim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,773
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

I'm still not convinced of this necessity.
I have missed tipping a few times this year, but didn't complain.
But on the other hand, if you guys insist, it's OK by me.

2013-Suicidee Tennis:Rank:56 Tipping: Rank: 8 Winner-AEGON Eastbourne;Carlsbad;Linz C-Y-P:Rank: 12 Winner-Florianopolis Pentathlon:Rank: 5 Winner-AUS Open;Florianopolis
2012- Tipping:Winner-Aus Open;London OG C-Y-P: Winner-Miami;Montreal Pentathlon:Winner-Stanford;London OG
2011- Tipping: Winner-Baku
2010- Tipping: Winner-Generali Ladies Linz;
2009 Winner Tipping:
Portoroz;2008 Winner Suicide Tennis: Generali Ladies Linz Tipping: Fortis Luxembourg;Kremlin Cup;Guangzhou;New Haven;OG Beijing;Los Angeles;Rome
ronim1 is offline  
post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
ἄθεος
 
Frederik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,877
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

same here (on the necessity part)

TT Singles: #128 CH: #2 Finals: Luxembourg '12, Miami '13, Carlsbad '13, YEC '13 SF: Dallas '12, US Open '12, Indian Wells '13, Cincinnati '13, New Haven '13, Tokyo '13
TT Doubles: #12 CH: #10 Titles: Dallas '12, Brussels '13, Cincinnati '13, US Open '14, New Haven '15, Hong Kong '15, Moscow '15 Finals: Seoul '12, Brisbane '13, Monterrey '15, Stuttgart '15, YEC '15 (GS) SF: Wimbledon '12, US Open '12 RR: YEC '13
Frederik is offline  
post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ma re's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
                     
Re: How to play and rule thread - 2010

We can do this - when the official 2012 WTA schedule comes out, I'll post two proposed 2012 tipping schedules; one using the same rules so far, and the other with the proposed new rules.
ma re is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome